Guest Code of Conduct
Here are 10 things you can do to help us to minimize our footprint and ensure nature keeps on giving what it does:
- Conserve energy – Switch off the lights, fans, and turn down the thermostates when you leave. Your cabin is very well insulated and takes only 15 minutes to heat up again. Use the woodstove as your primary source of heating. It’s easy to start, burns very efficiently and presrves the heat in your cabin much better than the back-up baseboard heaters. Close your cabin windows & doors when you leave or when the heating is on. It’ll also help to keep the critters out!
- Give the Car a Rest – Leave the car behind, if only for a day. There are various trails on & around the property for you to enjoy.
- Shop Local – Use local products, they give you a flavor of the area and help support our local community. We are fortunate to have some fantastic producers of food, drink, and arts and crafts nearby. Ask about our local markets or local and regional organic produce, our area is well known for it.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – Try to avoid overly packaged goods and say no to that extra carrier bag. Try and recycle any waste you have. We operate a small recycling station in our basement and gladly collect any recycables you have saved for us in the kitchen caddy and recyling basket. Help us reduce our laundry. We standard make the beds needed for the number of staying guests, kindly just let us know if you prefer another one.
- Be Water Conscience – Please use water wisely. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth and help us support our water saving initiatives wherever you can. The water in your cabin comes straight from our Elise creek and is of exceptional quality. All water is filtered twice, free from any chemicals or additives, and is safe to drink.
- Respect Nature – Help us to look after the landscape and wildlife by not littering, guarding against fire and using our footpaths and trails. – When venturing in the outdoors, make a habit to “pack-it-in, pack-it-out”, leave what you find and minimize your imprint.
- Protect our wildlife – Please do not feed our wildlife. It can damage their health, alter their natural behaviors and expose them to predators and other dangers. The one exception is our local bird population during harsh winter conditions (and hummingbirds during the summer). We store selected seeds which we happily share with you to fill the birdfeeder at your cabin. – Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, or winter.
- Enjoy the quiet – Let nature’s sound prevail.
- Support Green Tourism Businesses – There are hundreds of businesses trying to reduce their environmental impacts through ‘Green Tourism Canada’., we are but one. The more green choices feature in your holiday plans, the greater our collective impact. More detailed information on Green Tourism Canada and their different rating criteria can be found at: www.greentourismcanada.ca.
- Ask & Tell – Feel free to ask us anything about our green initiatives, we’re still learning but are happy to answer any questions you may have. Tell us about anything interesting you see or hear, we closely monitor our natural habitat and keep a diary to keep track, anything you can share is most welcome.
Many thanks in advance!